Wednesday, February 24, 2016

You Know You're An Online Tutor When...

...you keep an internet speed log!

Slow internet can really disrupt the learning environment. Most clients don't think they have any internet speed issues...until they try to use a LMS software for online tutoring. Most programs require a pretty strong upload speed. I have not found the download speeds to be much of a factor in the session, but you will need a good upload speed.

One way I tell my clients to test theirs out is to have them stream a movie in Netflix and while the movie is running, have them do a speed check. You can easily do that at www.speedtest.net. If the upload speed is more than 2.0 Mbps, then you will be fine to use online tutoring.

If it is a speed less than that, you can still use online tutoring, but may need to do a few tweaks. One, try hard-wiring your computer directly to your internet. If you don't want to try that, then during the session, don't have anyone else using the Wi-Fi. Also, if it works for your student and teacher, you can keep the camera off, which will help.

I keep my laptop wired directly to the internet so my end of the connection is never a problem– hopefully! I was with one internet provider who could not give fast, consistent speeds. Which is why I started keeping my own log. I do like to keep this log, even though my speeds are usually not an issue with this new provide. The main reason why is so I can make sure if there is a technical issue, I can look back on my log to make sure my speed wasn't the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment