Monday, November 16, 2015

More Than Just Tutoring

What do you think of when you hear the word "tutor"?

Someone that helps a student with some homework?

True, that is often the duty of a tutor. However, most tutors build relationships with their students and get to enjoy much more than just helping a student with homework.

Today I had two examples of relationships I've built with students.

One is a student I have had for four years now and so we have a really good relationship. Strange, considering we have never met in person. In her session this evening, I had the fun privilege to help her brainstorm for her campaign speech. She is in fifth grade, so this is her first experience in running for election. I am really proud of her for trying. When she first started tutoring with me, she would only answer me with soft, barely audible, one-word replies.

The other student is one I'm still in the beginning stages of building our relationship. She had some frustrations going on and thought it was okay to just take them out on me. I let her.... at first. Then, I spoke firmly and kindly to her. I told her I really liked her and wanted to work with her, but I would not be able to do so if she continued to be disrespectful.  I also told her as she gets older, there will be more consequences for negative behavior. Who wants me around someone that yells at them? What boss wants to hire that person? She took that in. The rest of the session, she worked pretty hard and was polite, and produced some good writing. If I had just met her, I would have wanted to write her behavior off and be done with her. But since I've been working with her and getting to know her, I have discovered her disrespect usually stems from being overly tired.  She's in school all day, then has to tutor when she gets home. So although it wasn't the best or most fun session with her, I still enjoyed it because I am investing time in this student. I do it because I think she will be a success.

Online tutoring works because we online tutors know how to build relationships with our kids, even though we are not face to face.

Contact me if you would like to learn more about what online tutoring can offer for your child.


No comments:

Post a Comment